Avian Cholera Outbreak In Alaska

Avian cholera has been found for the first time in Alaska. Die-off on St. Paul Island. These were the first 3 dead birds sent to a biologist in Nome who sent them to a USGS lab in Wisconsin that made the avian cholera diagnosis. SHEFFIELD UAF-MAP

Hundreds of dead sea birds found on the beaches of St. Lawrence Island were the victims of the Alaska’s first detected avian cholera outbreak, officials said this week. One hunter in Gambell spotted a bird on the beach, its head flopping backwards, said Kimberlee Beckmen, a wildlife veterinarian with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. The bird acted like it was having a seizure. Then it dropped dead. Avian cholera, common in certain areas of the Lower 48 and Canada, causes mass die-offs of wild birds in places like California, Nevada and Texas. The fast-spreading disease can kill birds in six to 12 hours, though it isn’t much of a threat to humans. “It’s super, super common,” Beckmen said. “The only unusual part is us finding a die-off in Alaska.” The outbreak on St. Lawrence Island — located 200 miles from the mainland in the Bering Sea — is apparently already declining, wildlife authorities said. Seabird carcasses are also less plentiful than expected, according to reports from the island villages of Gambell and Savoonga during a teleconference Friday. A local biologist will try to get an aerial count of infected birds or carcasses next week. Authorities learned about the sea bird die-off on Nov. 20, according to a Fish and Game press release issued this week. Residents in Gambell and Savoonga, worried something in the environment killed the birds, notified them. Early reports put the number of dead birds at 200 to 300 bird per square kilometer.

Most of the birds turned up in Savoonga, on a 10-mile beach frequented by seal hunters. “People out there did a fabulous job of responding, reporting, getting the word out,” said Gay Sheffield, a Nome-based biologist with the University of Alaska’s Marine Advisory Program. “It’s only because of their actions that we’re learning what this is all about.” Sheffield received three bird carcasses: a northern fulmar, a common subarctic resident that’s white and gray; a double-billed murre, a black and white bird in the auk family; and a black crested auklet, a small, deep-diving seabird with a distinctive plume above its bill. She sent the birds for testing to a U.S. Geological Survey lab in Madison, Wisc. The avian cholera diagnosis came back on Wednesday, according to the Fish and Game press release. Officials warn anyone touching a sick bird or animal to wear gloves and wash hands with soap and water after handling animals or butchering meat. Never eat sick birds or animals that may have died from a disease. State wildlife officials working with Sheffield and community representatives on Friday came up with a typically Alaskan solution to dispose of any bird carcasses locals find. Usually, diseased bird or animal carcasses are burned or buried. Even dead birds still have high numbers of bacteria and can infect other birds.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s