Death toll from Guinea’s Ebola epidemic raised to 59

9highres_00000402408764

Guinea’s government raised the death toll in the Ebola epidemic raging through its southern forests to 59 on Saturday.

The health ministry said workers battling to contain the outbreak in the border region had added a further 25 deaths to the toll of 34 given earlier in the day, with a total of 80 cases registered.

Ebola virus identified as source of deadly epidemic in Guinea

The Ebola virus has been identified as the source of an outbreak of hemorrhagic fever in southern Guinea, the west African nation said on Saturday as the death toll rose to 34.

Experts in Guinea had been unable to identify the highly contagious disease, whose symptoms – diarrhoea, vomiting and bleeding – were first observed six weeks ago but scientists in the French city of Lyon confirmed it was Ebola, the Guinean health ministry said.

“We got the first results from Lyon yesterday (Friday) who informed us of the presence of the Ebola virus as the cause of this outbreak,” said Sakoba Keita, the ministry’s chief disease prevention officer said.

“Up to today we have identified 49 cases with 34 deaths in four prefectures.”

To date, no treatment or vaccine is available for Ebola, which kills between 25 and 90 percent of those who fall sick, depending on the strain of the virus, according to the WHO.

Voice of Russia, AFP

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s