The United Nations’ World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday it has been notified by Ministry of Health (MoH) of Guinea of a rapidly evolving outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever in forested areas of in the country’s south-eastern region. According to the WHO press release, a total of 86 cases including 59 deaths (case fatality ratio: 68.5%) have been reported so far from the districts of Guekedou, Macenta, Nzerekore and Kissidougou. In addition, three suspect cases including two deaths in Conakry are under investigation. Four health care workers are among the victims. Reports of suspected cases in border areas of Liberia and Sierra Leone are also being investigated. WHO said six of seven blood samples from suspect cases tested at Institut Pasteur in Lyon, France were positive for Ebola virus by PCR, confirming the first Ebola hemorrhagic fever outbreak in Guinea. Preliminary results from sequencing of a part of the L gene has showed strong homology with Zaire Ebola virus. Additional laboratory studies are ongoing to confirm these findings. Guinea’s Ministry of Health together with WHO and other partners have initiated measures to control the outbreak and prevent further spread. The MoH has activated the national and district emergency management committees to coordinate response. The MoH has also advised the public to take measures to avert the spread of the disease and to report any suspected cases.